Cookies are small pieces of information sent by a web server to a web browser allowing the server to uniquely identify the browser on each page. They are installed in mobile devices or computers when the user is browsing on WEBSITES.
The installation of cookies allows you a more personalised experience when you browse the website, facilitating interaction between you, the user, and the services offered by the owner of the WEBSITE.
4. TYPES OF COOKIES
There are different types of cookies depending on how the web is set up:
- Own cookies: these are installed on the user's device from the webserver managed by the website offering the requested services.
- Third party cookies: these are installed on the user's device from a server managed by a third party who is different from the website.
and according to the length of time they remain on the user's device or computer:
- one-off cookies: these are eliminated as soon as the user finishes browsing the website
- persistent cookies: these stay on the device permanently allowing the website to store the necessary information in order to facilitate access for later visits.
Depending on the purpose for which data is to be processed, a third type of cookie exists whose number and type can vary according to the website's aim. Some examples include:
- Strictly necessary cookies: these enable the use of different options or associated services while browsing the website.
- Geo-location cookies: these remember choices you make such as the country you visit the website from, directing content according to the geographical location, in order to determine the language of the user. The data stored never shows personal details from which your personal identity can be established.
- Customized cookies: These can determine certain characteristics regarding the general options of the website.
- Performance cookies: these can collect information about the type of browsing being carried out.
- Advertising cookies: to show adverts in banners by adjusting parameters so that they are as accurate as possible, thereby making the optimisation of campaigns easier.
- Behavioural advertising cookies: to obtain browser information at intervals in order to segment the user profile and personalise browsing according to his/her preferences.
Bearing in mind the importance of privacy and security on the internet, it is essential you take control of what happens on devices from the moment the installation of cookies is accepted.
6. MANAGEMENT OF INSTALLED COOKIES
Each internet browser has its own way of controlling how installed cookies are managed. To do so, you must choose the appropriate settings of the browser you have installed. This configuration will enable you to eliminate cookies associated with each of the websites from where they have been installed.
- Internet Explorer: Tools > Internet Options > Privacy > Configuration. For more information, see Microsoft support or Help on the browser.
- Mozilla Firefox: Tools > Options > Privacy > History > Customized Configuration. For more information, see Mozilla support or Help on the browser.
- Google Chrome: Configuration > Show advances options > Privacy > Content Configuration. For more information, see Google support or Help on the browser.
- Safari: Preferences > Security. For more information, see Apple support or Help on the browser.
- Opera: Configuration > Options > Advanced > Cookies. For more information, see Opera support or Help on the browser.
- If you use another browser which is different to those mentioned above, you must check out the relevant information on cookie management for this particular browser.
7. OUR COOKIES
- Analytical cookies. These can record the number of users and thus carry out measurement and statistical analysis of the use made by users of the website. Source: Google Analytics